Your due dates come closer as you enter your third trimester. The baby can arrive at any time. And although you might have to visit the hospital shortly, you are yet to decide on the things you should pack in your hospital bag. Deciding what to pack in your hospital bag ahead of time will help you prepare for the delivery day.
Let’s find out the complete hospital bag checklist.
Hospital Bag for Mom: Labor and Delivery: When should you pack your hospital bag? In case if you go into labor weeks prior to your due date, you should start packing your hospital bag by the 37th weeks of your pregnancy.
Next, we are going to find out about what to pack in the hospital bag.
It all depends on the length of your stay at the hospital. Mothers who deliver through caesarean section stay for a longer period of time as compared to mothers who deliver vaginally. So, pack your bag, keeping in mind the possible duration of your stay at the hospital.
- Medical records, paperworks, and photo ID proofs: Your bag should contain hospital paperwork as the healthcare providers might need it at the time of reviewing your medical history. Ensure your hospital bag has insurance papers, photo ID proofs, and medical cards so that you can give them to the hospital whenever needed.
- A warm robe for yourself: If you are going to spend some time at the hospital, you should carry a bathrobe for yourself.
- Birth plan: In case, if you have talked about the birth plan with the doctors, it is a good idea to carry some printed copies of your birth plan for the medical team to check it for any last-minute queries.
- Socks: You will need socks for your feet, which might turn cold during labor.
- Lip Balm and Body Lotion: Put some body lotion and lip balm in your hospital bag to keep your lips hydrated and your body well moisturized. If you find massaging relaxing, you might go for it during labor.
- Slippers: Take a pair of slippers that are easy and comfortable to wear.
- Stuff that entertains: If your stay is long, you are definitely going to be bored. So, carry some good books, journals or a music player to keep yourself entertained.
Post-delivery Hospital Bag for Mom:
The hospital bag checklist for mom should also contain things that are needed after the delivery of the baby. So, here is the checklist you must pack for post-delivery.
- Maternity Pads: The hospital is going to provide maternity pads, but it is always recommended to pack some maternity pads as bleeding is normal after childbirth. As maternity pads absorb more than the standard pads, so the use of maternity pads is recommended.
- Bras: Carry some bras that are comfortable to wear.
- Nightgowns: During your stay at the hospital, you will need some comfortable nightgowns to wear. Select some comfortable front opening nightgowns if you decide to breastfeed your baby.
- Toiletries and cosmetics: You may forget about these small things, but it is essential to pack your hospital bag with the comb, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, conditioner, hairdryer, tissues, and deodorant. Carry a plastic bag to pack your dirty clothes in it. Keep some moisturizer as your skin might feel drier.
- Glasses: Do not forget to pack your eyeglasses or contact lens.
- Smartphone and the charger: Although it is obvious, you might forget to carry your phone at the last minute. Carry your phone to capture those first pictures of the little one and share them on social media.
- Snacks: You may experience a very long labor, so it is a good idea to pack some drinks and snacks. However, you might not be allowed to eat or drink anything during labor. So, talk to your doctor before having anything. You may indulge into your favorite snacks after the delivery
Hospital Bag Essentials for the Partner:
If you are a birth partner, it is worth packing your bag with some essentials for the time you spend at the hospital.
- Phone and Camera: Do not forget to carry your phone as it will help you stay in touch with the family members. A camera can help you capture some snaps.
- Snacks: Labor can be time consuming. So, consider carrying some water and snacks.
- Toiletries and Spare glasses: Consider carrying toiletries like comb, hairbrush, towel, soap to freshen up after the delivery.
- Clothes: It is always a good idea to keep some spare clothes as labour is a long and unpredictable process.
- Relaxation and Entertainment: Getting a small pillow can help you catch some sleep. Carry things like music player or tablets to keep you entertained all the time.
Hospital Bag Essentials for the newborn:
Last but not least are the essentials for the baby. Here is a checklist for the things that might come in handy.
- Booties and Socks: Just in case the newborn catches cold, so it is essential to pack socks and booties in the hospital bag.
- Bodysuits: You may also consider packing some bodysuits that open at the front for the newborn. However, some hospitals have policies as to what the baby should wear, so it is advised to have a discussion with the doctor before you start packing the hospital bag. During the winter months, you can carry some mittens and a jacket for the little one.
- Blanket: Consider carrying a blanket for the newborn that is going to keep the baby warm throughout your stay at the hospital as well as during your way back home.
You start preparing for the big day as it draws closer. It is a good idea to start packing things much ahead of time to ensure everything is in place. What should I pack in my hospital bag for labor? It is definitely going to be easier to pack your hospital bag for the newborn, the hubby and for yourself now that you’ve gone through the checklist in detail. You may also make a checklist of all the important items and follow it while packing your hospital bag.